If you've been around awhile, you know that getting older isn't always easy or fun. Yet you may also find getting older brings more than a few surprising gifts—in addition to the sheer gift of being alive. For example:
- We're much more comfortable with who we are. Yes, flaws and all. This comfort makes it easier for others to be around us, which means we're less likely to be lonely.
- We're less concerned with the good opinion of other people. It turns out others weren't keeping tabs on us nearly as much as we thought they were.
- It gets harder and harder to be a people-pleaser. Need a refresher? Here are 9 Reasons Not to Be a People-Pleaser.
- We get more selective about our energy and time. When we know what we value most, it gets easier to say no to what we don't. This gives us even more energy.
- We start doing the math. We start accepting that our time is limited—and whatever we're going to do, we had better get on with it. What's one step you could take today to feel even better about your life? Take it.
- We take less for granted. Age brings the opportunity to slow down in a good way and experience more appreciation.
- We make wiser decisions. This is one of the best gifts of all: to take the lessons Life has taught us and invest them into our lives going forward. Even better: investing in the lives of those around us.
What else would you add to this list? Click here to join the conversation!
When we know what we value most, it gets easier to say no to what we don't.
— Gina DeLapa